Thursday, July 31, 2008

Changes

Out of the blue I discovered the need for a job change. Yesterday started as any other day. Then my employer (boss) and I had a disagreement which erupted into him yelling at me. Which was followed by me spending the day crying. In the end my husband and I decided that I needed to turn in my two week notice. I am scared by this decision. In some ways this was the perfect job. It is very close to home. I was able to put the younger girls on the bus in the mornings before coming to work and then home right after they were. If an emergency came up I could take off no problem. My younger girls have came into work with me before and my second to the oldest girl even works here part time for extra money. And once the baby arrives the plan was (at my bosses request) for me to just bring the baby to work. And to top it all off when we moved to Wyoming the plan was for me to still be the book keeper (got to love technology). But there were a few downsides to working here. The biggest, my bosses temper. I have spent the last year plus walking on egg shells. It has been challenging to say the least. So where do I go from here?
I'm working on my resume but know that I will probably end up just getting a 'fill in' job. I need to know that I can have time off when our baby is due. I do not want to risk missing the birth. And I have been inducing lactation (I'll have to do a post on that sometime, very interesting subject) so being able to breast feed is important. I'm not sure what will happen. Chances are good that once the baby arrives I will not work at all. Financially I don't know how we can handle that while living here. When we move to Wyoming our plan is for me to stay home but the mortgage we have here makes that difficult. I'm trusting that everything will be fine in the end. Just feeling a little nervous/scared today.

Update: Boss came in and apologized. I am still leaving here but I agreed to stay on until a suitable replacement can be found with the understanding that if anything like this ever happens again I am out the door at that moment. This choice does give me some relief. 99% of the time this is a good place to be. It is the 1% of the time that is hard to handle. Now I wonder how hard it is going to be to find a replacement for me. Apparently it took 3 months of looking for them to find me... Scary.

No comments: