Monday, November 3, 2008

Inducing Lactation

I am sitting here with my breasts attached to a machine. I began the pumping stage of the lactation induction. If I told you it was fun I would be lying. If I told you it didn't hurt I would be lying. If I told you that I am thinking that inducing lactation might have been a bad idea that would be the truth. I plan on sticking with it anyway. But I can say that it is nothing like nursing or pumping in addition to nursing. It is not even like pumping after giving birth and having the baby in NICU (been there, done that). It is hard. And very disappointing to only see drops of milk. The first time I pumped I got about 1/2 an ounce total. Second time same amount. Third time less, and each time after even less. I have read that it will take 2-3 weeks before I start to get any noticeable amounts. Once I start hitting one ounce at pumping (and once we are moved) then I'll start freezing it. We have just over 2 months until our due date so I do have some time to get my output up. I started on fenugreek tea the same day I started pumping. I actually don't mind the flavor of it but it has an odd side effect. It makes my urine smell like maple syrup. How weird is that? And aren't you glad I shared that with you?

Moving prep is going well. Today I spent doing lots of little things. Joe got home around 3Pm which was great. He did a lot of little things too. I'm working on a list of the things I want to get done tomorrow. Saturday will be here soon!

1 comment:

Cyn said...

Oh, keep with it Millie! Pumping is never fun, but at least you are seeing something. I hear that many women don't see drops for several days/weeks.
It will be so worth it when you can nurse your baby!

Fenugreek never caused a problem with the urine, but my sweat sure did smell.