Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wedding Stuff

Yesterday went well. Angel and I got lots done for her wedding. Ogre, Angel and I met with a baker at a brand new bakery that just opened last week. We were able to discuss with her what the plans were but she didn't have any books for them to look through so they are going back next week. We are pretty sure that they will have a small two tier cake and a sheet cake. The two tier will be white cake with cream cheese filling and frosting. And either Pink with white dots or White with Pink dots or ribbon. The sheet cake will be chocolate cake but unknown frosting color. Angel likes white cake and Ogre likes chocolate cake so it sounds like a good compromise. And budget friendly for me since the sheet cake is only $25 and the two tier cake is the least expensive that we can get and still have it look like a wedding cake.

Ogre then went to work and Angel and I went to the seamstress for the second dress fitting. The dress was beautiful and fit perfect. It was determined that no additional alterations were needed so the dress is now hanging in my closet. It was almost overwhelming to me to see Angel in it. I am not sure when she became old enough to get married. Sometimes I still see her as a little girl missing her front teeth.

We then got some lunch before heading off to the reception hall. Joe was able to join us for lunch and the field trip to the hall. I am happy to report that the reception hall is much bigger than my mind remembered it. I was stressing a bit about how we were going to arrange everything in there and get all in that we needed to get in. We know that we need a table for the DJ, the bar, the cake table, the candy buffet, the food buffet and the drink station. Plus a dance floor. Oh and seating for somewhere between 80 and 100. And I did mention that the ceremony will be in the same place right? I think it will work. We mapped it all out yesterday and with minimal need for rearrangement at a couple of times we can get it all together.

Then it was off to the florist. We are on a super tight budget for this wedding. Remember, we are right in the middle of a surrogacy and a move and this wedding came slightly out of the blue. So our budget is waaaay low. To help with saving costs I am going to do the flowers. I have no real training but have done bouquets before and some basic flower arrangements. We went to a florist shop that a lady I have know for about 12 years owns. She was so helpful and very encouraging that I could do the flowers. She can order them in bulk for us if we want or the local Safeway store will order them. Either way the savings is huge compared to what we would spend for florist to prepare them. I even plan on making the boutonnieres and corsages. I think I will do a practice run on those before the actual event. They seem to scare me a bit more than the bouquet and the arrangements. The bouquets will be hand tied bouquets. Angels in Pink Roses and the girls in Pink carnations. The boutonnieres for the Groom (Ogre) will be a Pink Rose and his groomsmen and the dads/grandpas will be a Pink carnation.

Next we went to a discount store in town called Deals Only. It is a scary store. They have odd lots of things that didn't sell at other places. They sell a little bit of everything. Food (I'm scared to buy that there), hardware, housewares, beauty supplies, all sorts of odd and ends. We found some amazing deals there. First we got plastic wine glasses 48 of them for $2, then hot pink serving bowls for the salads (did I mention that my sister who is a professional caterer is catering the wedding? I am the assistant caterer) which will work out so nice and bring Angels wedding color over to the buffet table. Gosh, have I even told you the wedding colors? Shades of Pink and Silver with a little white thrown in. Anyway, back to our Scores at the Deals store. We found hot pink double heart plates for serving the cake, pink napkins, Pink fake roses that we will mix in the arrangements with real ones. The hot pink colors were too good to pass up and we figure since it is a night time wedding we can get away with throwing in a few fakes (we'll just keep the lights low, haha). We found floating candles for 49 cents a piece and a few other things that I know I am forgetting. Total cost spent $38.00 WOW!!

Today Angel is heading to the city. She starts her new job tomorrow. Her first apartment. I know that she is excited about it. I am excited for her. But I keep thinking of that Billy Ray song "Ready, Set, Don't Go". It is a weird sensation. This is very different than when we took Bear to college. I can't really explain it but very different.

Today I am going into the office. I actually better get ready I didn't realize it is quite as late as it is. With having my replacement there I don't have too much to do but sit around and wait for her to ask me questions. Makes for a long day.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

I would have to think it feels different because she's getting married and that's so much more permanent than going away to school.

It sounds like everything is going smoothly and you're handling it all very well. It reads as though you've known for years they were getting married. It also sounds as though you're enjoying this time as well, which is wonderful and I'm sure your DD appreciates your acceptance and vigor!

Millie said...

Cyn,
I figure I have two choices. I can either throw a fit about the wedding and she will get mad at me and get married anyway without me being involved. Or I can embrace it and enjoy the process. I choose to enjoy it and be there for her as much as I can.

I think you are right about the reason it feels different is because it is so permanent.