Friday, August 22, 2008

Variety and Opposition

It is said that variety is the spice of life. My life must be pretty spicy! I have so many interests. I was thinking of this today when I was looking at the different blogs that I enjoy. Some are surrogacy related, some are homemaking, some are Christian, some are focused on off-grid living, some on frugality, etc. Quite a variety. I do enjoy many things and I love trying new things. And then as I think about the blogs I read I think about which ones that I am comfortable commenting on. I have commented on a couple of surrogacy related blogs and others that are frugal living, Christian or a combination of many things (but not surrogacy). But the difference is on the surrogacy blogs I comment in known fashion with the ability for those reading it to find my blog. On the other blogs I comment in anonymous fashion. Why is that?

Why am I nervous about people that may not be involved in surrogacy reading my blog? It's not like I just blog about surrogacy. I do mention other things, I do have a full life in addition to being an Intended Mother. So why am I nervous to have people outside of the surrogacy world read this? Because I am (how is that for an answer?). I know that surrogacy is/can be controversial. Especially Traditional Surrogacy. Even in the surrogacy world Traditional Surrogacy is controversial. There are entire groups dedicated to ending Traditional Surrogacy. I would love to be able to just say "Here I am. This is me. Take me or leave me". But instead I hide. I don't like controversy. I don't like people to think ill of me. I want everyone to like me. Even in the online world where people don't even know me I want them to like me. I'm going to work on opening myself up. Maybe if more people could see what a beautiful thing that Traditional Surrogacy can be then there would be less controversy.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Millie, I really do think you're families approach to traditional surrogacy will be a shining example of how wonderful traditional surrogacy can be. The bits that you've shared with me about your hopes and desires for your relationship are what every surrogate dreams of (traditional or gestational). I find you amazing and awe inspiring. I do agree that you should open yourself up more-it will do wonders to share such a positive traditional surrogacy situation.

Besides you've got comment moderation on. If anyone makes a rude comment you don't have to publish it. :)

Millie said...

Aw shucks, Cyn. You are too sweet. Did you not read my recent post about my selfishness? Not so amazing or awe inspiring. lol

You are right about the moderation feature. I can use it as a tool. You are one smart woman :-)